With no end in sight to rising gas prices, consumers who modify their driving habits and properly maintain their vehicles will get more miles per gallon. The Car Care Council recommends the following ways to drive smart and save gas money:
- Observe the speed limit. Gas mileage decreases rapidly above 60 mph.
- Avoid excessive idling. Idling gets zero miles per gallon. Warming up the vehicle for one or two minutes is sufficient.
- Avoid quick starts and stops. Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway and 5 percent in the city.
- Consolidate trips. Several short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much gas as one longer multi-purpose trip.
- Don’t haul unneeded items in the trunk. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk reduces fuel economy by 1 to 2 percent.
- Check the gas cap. Damaged, loose or missing gas caps allow gas to vaporize into the air.
- Replace dirty or clogged air filters on older vehicles to improve gas mileage by as much as 14 percent.
- Replace dirty spark plugs, which can reduce mileage by two miles per gallon.
- Change oil regularly and gain another mile per gallon.
- Keep your car properly tuned to improve gas mileage by an average of 4 percent.
- Keep tires properly inflated and improve gas mileage by 3 percent.
“Some motorists think they are saving money when they put off needed vehicle maintenance. What they don’t realize is that neglecting routine maintenance can end up costing a lot more,” said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. “Keeping your car running efficiently and adjusting your driving behavior are the best ways to improve your vehicle’s fuel economy and keep more money in your pocket.”
Twin Tire Cares about saving you money and keeping you safe. We Can Help You With That! Twin Tire and Auto Care is a proud provider of Firestone Tires | Bridgestone Tires | Goodyear Tires for the New Orleans area.