Before you go on a road trip, make sure your car is ready for the long haul by consulting the New Orleans auto care pros at Twin Tire.
With winter and the school year over, many people start thinking of summer vacations. For a lot of those people, summer vacation means a lengthy road trip. For others, a vacation could mean several short road trips or weekend getaways.
But whether you plan a long getaway or a short hop, the nonprofit Car Care Council says, "make sure your vehicle is road trip ready so you can have any problems fixed before you go. A pre-trip vehicle checkup will help avoid the inconvenience, potential safety hazards and unplanned expense of breaking down miles away from home."
Rich White, executive director of the council, says, “If you’re planning a summer road trip, it’s important to remember that it’s not as simple as just putting gas in the car and driving off. Performing a thorough inspection of your vehicle before you leave will give you peace of mind and help make your road adventure safer and more fun.”
The to-do list for a pre-trip inspection, according to the council:
- Check filters and fluids, including engine oil, antifreeze/coolant, windshield washer and power steering, brake and transmission fluids. Dirty air filters can waste gas and cause the engine to lose power.
- Check the hoses and belts and replace if they become cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or show signs of excessive wear. These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and the cooling system.
- Check the brake system and make sure the battery connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free.
- Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Underinflated tires reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy and uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Check the engine to make sure it is delivering the best balance of power and fuel economy and produces the lowest level of emissions.
- Check that the gas cap is not damaged, loose or missing to prevent gas from spilling or evaporating.
Twin Tire has been the trusted New Orleans auto care and auto repair service center since 1973. Twin Tire has three convenient New Orleans auto care and auto repair service centers to help you - Marrero, Harvey and Hammond. Twin Tire also has a New Orleans auto repair and auto care location in Harahan for heavy commercial vehicles.
New Orleans Auto Care | New Orleans Auto Repair | Twin Tire Auto Care
#NewOrleansAutoCare #NewOrleansAutoRepair #TwinTireAutoCare